Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Monday, 26 Jan (Chu Yi)

Start of the long awaited Chinese New Year. I don't know why but I woke up feeling super happy, like I was having an especially good luck or something. With the CNY spirit all in me, I visit my grandma to wish her a happy new year.

I wore a tie on that day and very soon I regretted that bad move because not only does everyone commented at least something about the tie, I had some saying "I want to buy stocks or shares because you look like the stockbroker."

Chinese new year can never be fun or prosperous without gambling. So basically, the main idea of gathering at my gran's house is to, firstly see relatives and secondly GAMBLE!

A total of 3 gambling dens are opened on that day. Mainly, they are split into 3 category as well (Teenagers, Adults(non-smoker), Lao Jiaos(mainly smokers). I belong to the "Teenagers" group and I lose bitterly at Blackjack at first . But later in the day, more cousins joined in and I was the banker for the last 4 rounds. This last 4 rounds were the turning point of my day because I got blackjack, blackjack, 20 and 21 respectively. In the end, I won $16.

Adults group were made up of my mum, aunts, uncles and sometimes my sister. They are the non-smokers and they played Dai dee. Winning and losing is very fast pace and hence Teenagers are not advised here. The "Lao Jiaos" group were the smokers and more noisier, violent group. You wouldn't even want to be near them as quarrels can happen anytime. Their normal taking sounds like fighting!

Anyway, I meet up with Mk at night time because he lived very near my gran. Was supposed to watch a movie or something but I guess everyone is busy with their "huat-ings" and so they couldn't make it. Went to Subway to have dinner as I wasn't able to eat anything filling at Gran's place.

This is how I spent my first day of CNY. Though it's really simple and it's all about gambling, I really enjoy it a lot.

Tuesday, 27 Jan (Chu Er)

Every Chu Er, I will go over to my Jiu mu's workplace to collect ang pows and buffet. It has become a "must-go" because we went there more than 5 times already. This year, they even added lion dances to spice up the celebration.

Along with my mum, aunt, cousin and Mk, we meet up at clementi and went over to Dobby Ghaut. We had been there 5 times but we always don't know how to walk there and end up in the wrong place and was forced to take taxi. This year, we managed to walk there but we kind of overshot and we promised that next year, we will never forget the place to turn.

Found a spot to sit. It was very near to the lion dance. In fact, just next to it. My ear drum almost burst when they start to clank the clangs or hit the drums.



See how near is it? The lion dance were just behind my aunt and mum!



Dishing out some dangerous stunts.



My aunt goes "Not again..."





This is the most irritating part. They will squat over the oranges and pretend like the creature is eating the oranges. The creature will look like it is enjoying the fruit as it shakes a little and blink it's eyes. While the person inside will hastily peel the orange skin and for a word or something using the fruits inside. Then they will put the orange skins on the mouth of the creature and anyhow spatter the skins to the sides.



Why is it irritating? because each of this process took about 10 mins and there were like 6 sets of oranges to peel. Not only that, the lion dance crew were happily drumming and clanging like as if they had already gone deaf. Actually, the main irritation is that I am uber hungry.

Next, we went to collect ang pows. Last time, when I was young, I was not afraid to take more than 7 ang pows. There was this uncle that always forget which children had taken ang pows before. But as I grew older, there's this mentality that lots of pairs of eyes are looking at you. This year I only managed to take 3 but I am quite pleased already.

After ang pow collection, it's buffet time! There's this auntie that keep trying to cut queue. She was just beside my cousin and asked her where to get plates. At first I thought she really wants to know where to get the plates but I later found out that she was trying to cut queue. Even after taking the plates, she went on to ask where to take the spoon when it is just infront of her.

So I told my cousin to stick closely to the one infront because I knew the motive of this F***ing auntie. Then she tried to lean near me but I just stood firm and at times, pushes her back by swaying sideways. She knows I was no pushover and try to prey on my younger sis. I immediately pull my sis to my front and said something like "be careful".

In the end, she managed to cut in but not infront of me. I hate her to the core of the planet Earth.

Next was "lau yu sheng" time!



After eating, my uncle tio summons because he did a illegal parking. He had just arrived like 3 mins and got back to his car to see policeman and woman. You see, it's Chinese new year second day and these people are working so hard to issue summons to break the fun. It will be understandable if it was a Malay or Indian issuing but both of them were Chinese and they are those unreasonable kind that talk loudly to you when they are explaining. But a summon cannot be void once issued, so no point arguing.

Me and Mk then went over to Jurong Point. Tb came over to fetch us to Hx's house. A while later, my sis also arrived at Hx's house and we start our gamble session. We played Texas poker and some kind of 2-3 cards game. Lose a few bucks and Hx's mum was kind enough to treat us dinner where she cook a few simple dishes.

When it was about time for our movie, Love matters, which we kiasu-ly booked before hand, we quickly go over to fetch my sis's husband.



Again, for don't know what unknown reasons, I was unable to find any pictures of the movie, "Love matters". Let your imagination go wild because this movie is about sexual desires. (in my opinion)

Like what my sis told me, the storyline was created after they create the comedy scene. Meaning that they came up with the funniest jokes compiled from previous movies or they came up with new ones and then write a story about it. So the movie might seemed jumble up as the main point of the movie was to make people laugh.

After the movie, Tb, Hx, Mk and my sis went to my house and we play mahjong. Tb is in the phase of learning. That's the end of Chu Er.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Discussion area

<< Home